Meet the new RX
The RX pioneered the luxury SUV phenomenon when it was launched internationally in 1997. Since then it has gone on to become one of the world's most successful cross-overs. In fact, the RX heads the sales of Lexus in the US and outperforms its most direct European competitors two to one. It also enjoys the honour of being the vehicle with the highest customer satisfaction rating ever recorded in the JD Power quality survey.
Espousing the ‘everything included' philosophy, a generous slug of standard equipment is a given if you're shopping for a Lexus, but the RX350 Special Edition really does pull out all the stops.
According to Justin Ryan, General Manager of Lexus South Africa, "the RX350 Limited Edition offers exactly the blend of virtues and specification that most buyers of this vehicle will be looking for.
"In addition, the recent styling revisions, most notably the more assertive frontal treatment and dynamic new 19-inch alloy wheels, make a bold statement and give the RX a sportier persona.
"In the cabin, small but telling tweaks have been made to trim details as well as the shape and functionality of some of the controls, particularly the Remote Touch controller which operates more like a computer mouse. The Lexus attention to detail even extends to increasing the opening angle of the centre console box lid, to make it easier to reach items inside – now that's true luxury," says Ryan.
On top of the already well-endowed EX model, the new Special Edition gets the following equipment top-ups:
- Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS). For enhanced night-time visibility, especially on winding roads, the Dual-swivel AFS in conjunction with the High Intensity Discharge (HID) Xenon headlamps pivot the left headlamp up to 15 degrees and the right headlamp up to 10 degrees, helping to illuminate more of the road through turns. Naturally, headlamp washers are standard.
- Electronically adjustable steering column with memory.
- LED door scuff plates.
- Side mirrors with memory function. Of course, even the EX model comes with auto-folding and electrochromatic dimming as standard.
- Side monitor. A miniature camera, incorporated into the passenger door mirror, transmits video images to the vehicle's central display. Ingeniously, the camera will continue to work even if the mirrors are folded back when negotiating a narrow entrance. The side monitor is activated by operating a button on the steering wheel.
- Bamboo cabin trim. Slivers of silky blonde bamboo wood trim adorn the steering wheel (combination wood and leather), interior doors, instrument panel and cup holder garnish, providing the perfect counterpoint to the buttery soft, jet black leather which ‘coats' all the upholstered surfaces, including console box. Please note that the front seats are not only heated but come with integrated seat ventilation as well as memory settings for both front pews.
- Heads up Display. Projects simple navigation directions, audio information and vehicle speed onto the front windscreen, so you can spend more time focused on the road ahead. And unlike other systems, it includes a distance countdown and an animated arrow that guides you intuitively through turns.
- 15-speaker Mark Levinson audio system. Key to its superlative performance are no fewer than 15 speakers, each custom-engineered for the particular acoustic characteristics of, and location within, the cabin. It provides perfect 7.1-channel surround sound for your favourite CD, DVD or music from your phone or MP3 player.
The Lexus RX Range – The face of progress
- Two engine options (3.5 V6 and Hybrid Electric) and three-model line-up – RX 350 EX, RX 350 Special Edition and RX 450 SE.
- Recently refreshed styling displaying stronger frontal styling with de rigueur spindle grille and deft L-Finesse design touches, a redesigned interior with a wider choice of colours and trims, a new-look instrument binnacle and a second-generation of Lexus's Remote Touch Interface.
- New 19" alloy wheel design for the RX 350 EX.
- 3.5 V6 vital statistics – 204 kW @ 6200 rpm / 346 Nm @ 4700 rpm (0-100 km/h in 8 secs / ave 10,6 litres per 100 km).
- Hybrid vital statistics – 220 kW total system output for 3.5 V6 petrol engine with 2 high-output electric motors (0-100 km/h in 7,8 secs / ave 6,3 litres per 100 km).